Check out this gorgeous 1940's Wolrd War inspired look by Leonardo Manetti!
ION: What was your inspiration for this look?
Leo:I wanted to bring back the classics. To try to do something not so literal, but had a feeling of the 1940s. Something that was wearable by today's standards but felt like the 1940's. We've been working on this for Atelier.
ION: So beautiful. How do you stay inspired after doing hair for so long?
Leo: I try to surround my self with people who have a high standard in their work. It's important to me as a business owner, to have people around me that are doing great work. I look at it not in a threatening way, but as a way to do better myself. I'm a big believer in teamwork and working together for something bigger than ourselves.
Leo: I also think observing youth is a key to inspiration. My daughter is the biggest inspiration for me. She has different ideas and images that she likes and makes me think in a new fresher way. Being older, I have a vast knowledge of beauty, but with out the spark of my young one, it means nothing.
1. Blow out hair with Volume Building Mousse.
2. Section one side at the recession and one side slightly lower. Bring top section back to the high crown.
3. Clip top section out of the way and pull rest of the hair in to a sleek low ponytail. Use a bungee to hold in place.
4. On the low parting, take a very small section of hair and french braid from back to front hairline. Complete braid and then pin on top of itself neatly. This hidden braid will be used to hide pins in.
5. Take diagonal sub sections, through top section, use a 3/4 inch iron. Wrap hair around the iron while twisting the hair to create a corkscrew curl.
6. Once the top is curled, brush through, back comb lightly underneath the section to hold it together, and then roll it under and pin into place.
7. Take small sections of the ponytail and curl with the same 3/4 inch iron, wrapping the hair around like a corkscrew again.
8. brush ponytail out after curling is complete and shape as you like. (if you are leaving the back as a pony tail, take a small section from underneath, spray with strong hold hairspray and wrap it around bungee. Keep it flat like a ribbon.)
Photo: Matt Licari
Makeup: Angelica Singh
Model: Vladica Mijatovic